7 Timeless Pieces You Must Own
Timeless is defined as eternal or something that does not go out of style. When purchasing eternally-fashionable pieces for your wardrobe, buy the best basics you can afford with high-quality fabric, and the ideal fit and cut for you. These pieces will be the basis for your wardrobe and will ensure you have comfort items in your closet that you can always turn to and style for multiple occasions and situations. At MSL, we advocate using the CPW method when determining your budget. (CPW of course stands for Cost Per Wear.) Meaning if you wear an expensive item over and over again for years, your actual CPW will make it less expensive than the cheap item you bought and only wore one season, making the well-made item oh-so-worth the investment. And even more importantly, if your clothing budget is a topic you need to discuss with a significant other, CPW appeals to their logical side, as well as your own.
Here are MSL’s top 7 picks that every mom needs in her life.
1. Trench Coat. A perfectly-cut trench coat in a neutral, go-with-everything color like black will literally last you forever. The trench glides seamlessly from day to night and has an sexy air of mystery about it. When buttoned up and tied, what guy doesn’t wonder… what’s under that trench coat??
2. Tailored Blazer. This staple pairs brilliantly with a dress, skirt, slacks or jeans. We love it in a power color like classic red to add some pizzazz to our look. Black, gray and navy are all fail-safe choices if you prefer a more neutral tone. Remember a solid group of classic pieces in neutral colors can be easily accessorized with color to completely change your look from year to year.
3. Hoop Earrings. A staple item for your jewelry box, hoops are easy and quick to throw on when you are running out the door to pick up the kids. Hoop earrings immediately give you a more polished look and a medium-sized hoop never will fall out of fashion. Choose gold or silver based on your jewelry preference — however, note that gold always looks more luxe.
4. Everyday Handbag. How many moms change their handbag every day? Just a few of you over-achieving fashionistas out there take the time. The majority of us are simply lucky to get out the door on time. Hence, the necessity of a go-to, perfectly-sized, everyday handbag. Black or camel are perfect color choices as they will work with most everything in your closet. For the days, when you do want to change handbags, try to confine all your critical items to your wallet and a small make-up bag inside your handbag so switching is easy and fast.
5. Great Denim. We admit it. At MSL we live for a great pair of jeans. We like to dress them up and dress them down. They probably get more wear than any other item in our closet. No, not probably, they do. When we find a pair that we love, we buy multiples. Denim does wear out so your favorite pair won’t last you forever like the rest of our timeless choices, but we can pretty much guarantee you will always have a great pair of jeans in your closet. Choose the most flattering shape for you, whether it be skinnies or boot-cut, and know that dark denim always looks dressier.
6. Nude Pumps. A pair of round-toe nude pumps will take you from the board room to a PTA meeting to a wedding and then to lunch with your girlfriends. Classic pumps can be wore with jeans or a cocktail dress and will be the foundation of your shoe wardrobe. Nude pumps not only go with everything and every color, they also elongate your legs and make you look taller and thinner. They are miracle workers, really.
7. LBD. One perfectly-fitting little black dress is a MUST for every woman. At least one. Black is the can’t-miss, never-on-the-fashion-fail-list color for just about any occasion. If you are only buying one, select a jersey fabric and relatively conservative cut that you can transform and create different looks for day and night by changing your shoes and accessories. Black is always chic, always sophisticated and always slimming — need we say more?
One response to “7 Timeless Pieces You Must Own”
Leave a Reply
Lust. Luxe. Less. | The Travel Tote
Fab from the Lab | The Heels You Need in Your Life
Arizona Midday | Dress to Beat the Heat
The Latest Preservative to Avoid in Your Beauty Products
Fab from the Lab | Discovered Weekly
Arizona Midday | Off-the-Shoulder Tops at Any Age
Shop the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale Like a Pro
12 Tips for Doing Disneyland Right at the Holidays
5 Haute Tips for a Spring Fashion Refresh
Arizona Midday | Fall Layering Style Hacks
Thank you, guess I better get shopping!