Angela’s Lab | My Secrets to Smoother Skin
When we reach a certain age (ahem)… it’s unavoidable. Our skin starts to lose elasticity and firmness. We start to develop fine lines and wrinkles. We can certainly try to combat it with Botox and injectables. Whether you decide to head down that road or not, there are a number of excellent products that will help “fill in and plump” from the surface. Today, I’m sharing with you how I go about creating a smoother surface on my face before I apply my makeup. Full disclosure: I haven’t used Botox or injectables on my face. I’m not saying that I won’t at some point, but for now I’m happy with what I can achieve via these products.
- I start with a clean face and first apply a product with hyaluronic acid (it’s already in our bodies!) to plump. I like Intraceuticals Atoxelene Line Wand for deeper lines (plus you can carry it in your handbag and touch up during the day) and Peter Thomas Roth’s Water Drench Hyaluronic Cloud Serum (it’s 15% off right now!) for all over. These both plump and hydrate the skin.
- Next, I apply my favorite eye moisturizer, Chanel Sublimage. Use your own favorite product here.
- Then, I put on Smashbox Photo Finish Radiance Primer. This step is important — the primer takes smoothing to the next level by filling in lines and indents, plus it plumps further and gives your face an overall glow. I’ve tried a number of primers — I used to use ModelCo Face Base until they discontinued it, then I discovered Smashbox Radiance. This primer also contains hyaluronic acid — this ingredient is seriously amazing.
- Next, I add a light layer of Clarins Super Restorative Tinted Cream (in Sand) to moisturize, protect from the sun, and to even out my uneven skin tone. If you’re in a big hurry and only have time for one layer, this is a one-step wonder product if you’re having one of those mornings.
- Afterwards, I put on MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus (I use the color NW25) — it’s a powder and foundation in one.
- Then, I apply my blush and eye makeup and finish with MAC Blot Powder in Medium.
- Before I add my mascara, I spritz with Urban Decay De-slick Makeup Setting Spray (it really works!). Lastly, I throw Supergoop’s Defense Refresh Setting Mist with SPF 50 in my handbag to spritz on during the day (so important to protect your face from the sun’s aging rays) and I’m out the door!
I know, you’re thinking… that’s a lot of steps! But it does go fast once you get in a routine and it makes a big difference in how your skin looks and makeup lasts.