Sneak Peek! NSale Finds + Insider Tips
Rich colors, tailored menswear, feminine silhouettes, glamorous accessories, and luxe fabrics — from brocade and satin to tweed and velvet…. fall is hands down my favorite time of year for fashion! And, the highly-anticipated Nordstrom Anniversary Sale (aka NSale) in July is the opening event of the season, when fall fashion gets marked down, then goes back to regular price in August. A brilliant marketing concept for sure and we are all in. My daughter and I hit the first day of Early Access on July 9th for our annual mother-daughter, back-to-school shopping trip. Moms need back-to-school clothes too, amiright?!
Note that the Early Access Sale process has changed this year!
Why? Well, remember how the Nordstrom website has crashed the last few years during Early Access? Well, the retailer’s solution is to drive more people into the stores for Early Access so this hopefully doesn’t happen again.
Here’s the 2019 NSale Process & Timeline:
JULY 9 | ICON Nordstrom cardholders (formerly Level 4) pre-shop in stores only
JULY 10 | ICON & Ambassador cardholders pre-shop in stores only
JULY 11 | ICON & Ambassador cardholders pre-shop online at 12:30 Eastern time
JULY 12-18 | All Nordstrom cardholders have early access in stores and online
JULY 19 | Anniversary Sale opens to the public
AUGUST 5 | Prices go back up on fall fashion
INSIDER TIPS for Shopping the NSale:
- Do a quick closet review and determine what basics you need such as new jeans, a fall jacket or classic pumps. What do you wear on a regular basis? This is the ideal time to refresh your go-to capsule wardrobe for fall.
- Invest in a couple of great classics, like a beautiful coat or elegant dress. Designers like Tory Burch, Rebecca Taylor, St. John and more usually put a few select items on sale. Yay!
- Stock up on beauty items that you use on a regular basis or buy the ones you’ve been wanting to try.
- It’s also a terrific time to shop for holiday gifts! From jewelry and handbags to perfume and makeup palettes to home items, take this opportunity to buy for people on your list.
- Call your store and set up an appointment with a Nordstrom personal shopper. It’s a complimentary service and they can scout pieces for you and have a fitting room ready, plus find you the size you need if the item you want is sold out at your store. They also have access to limited edition items that aren’t in the catalog or on the website.
- If you don’t have a Nordstrom card, this sale alone is a good reason to get one, as it’s the only way to get “Early Access” to the sale items and many sell out (especially any limited quantity designer ones) before the sale even opens to the public. For Nordstrom cardholders only, Early Access runs through July 19th, then the sale opens up to the general public on July 20th. Another great reason to be a cardholder is Nordstrom has a great rewards program, from gift cards for shopping to free alternations and special event invitations.
- If you are a cardholder and have a double-points day available, don’t forget to activate it on your biggest shopping day (or days) during the NSale! Unlike previous years, Nordstrom is not automatically doing double or triple points during ALL of Early Access. Plus, it feels like Christmas getting a bigger than usual Nordstrom Notes gift card in the mail to use towards your next shopping spree!
- If you want a particular item, but aren’t 100% sure for whatever reason, I recommend going ahead and buying it, since many items do sell out. Some sell out to Icon cardholders and never even make it to the official Early Access sale, hence the reason for having a personal shopper looking out for you behind the scenes. You can always take it back later.
And last but not least, here are a few of my initial finds from Early Access on July 9th that I posted in Mom Style Lab’s Instagram Stories. In the interest of time, I snapped mirror selfies during my try-on sesh at the store. I will post a round-up of my top sale picks in various categories later this week when the sale goes live online.
P.S. Watch for our other NSale stories coming soon! I’ll be sharing picks from kids, beauty, shoes, accessories and more key fall clothing items.