Virtual Summer Camp Ideas for Kids!
While we all might be feeling relieved that COVID-induced online school has come to an end (at least for now!), summer is likely looking a bit different this year too. Most summer camps are cancelled or at least postponed, travel plans have gone to the wayside, and we’re all holding our breath to see what the summer will bring. Here in Arizona, businesses have been opening up and people are flocking to restaurants and stores…. and coronavirus cases are sadly on the uptick. At our house, we’re being cautious and still laying low. We may hit the highway for a road trip or two in July, but unless we want to spend our days yelling “get off the computer!” — virtual summer camp, here we come!
Thankfully, there are a number of options as many camps have transitioned to online for now. And, while it doesn’t replace the in-person social experience, virtual camps are a fun break in the day and keep the kids busy when mom needs a break.
Music, Dance & Acting
- Phoenix Theatre Company | Known for their dynamic, weeklong musical theatre camps, Phoenix Theatre Company has two different virtual options this summer: Summer of Dance and Next Stages. Summer of Dance is geared to age 10+ and includes Broadway, tap, ballet, contemporary and jazz online classes. The best deal is the All You Can Dance pass (just $140!), which is good for all of the June/July virtual dance classes offered. Next Stages features a variety of theatre classes for kids ranging in age from 4 to 17. Learning opportunities include dance parties and puppetry for the younger set, and master classes plus how to audition for older kids. More info
- Valley Youth Theatre | Where award-winning actress Emma Stone got her start, Valley Youth Theatre has gone virtual this summer as well, offering two-week-long camps in June and July, both culminating in an online performance by the campers. Kids will work on their singing, acting and dancing skills in the morning, then focus in on one of the three areas of their choice after lunch as they prepare for the performance. Camps are available for ages 5-8 and age 9+. More info
- Childsplay | From Shakespeare and The Lion King to Wreck-It Ralph and Harry Potter, Childsplay has a themed camp for everyone. The popular Tempe-based theater has assembled an impressive lineup and variety of virtual theater workshop and production classes for kids ages 4-17. Camps and classes run from now through July. More info
- Carrie Curran Art Studios | What kid doesn’t love creating their own art? Carrie Curran in Scottsdale is bringing their Young Vincents Summer Fine Art Camp to your computer. Live from their Scottsdale studio, they are offering themed, virtual classes and camps running from now through August 6 with morning, afternoon and all-day options available. In addition, they do have a limited number of spots available on-site if you’re interested in dropping your young artist off. More info
- Spanishtime | Want to work on developing your child’s Spanish skills over the summer? Spanishtime is offering virtual classes for kids entering 1st to 5th grade in the fall. With eight weeklong camps, each week is themed around a different Spanish-speaking country and groups are limited to 14 kids for optimum learning. Christina attended in-person Spanishtime classes and camps when she was 3-4 years old and loved it. Plus, as you’ve probably read, learning a second language helps boost kids’ cognitive thinking skills and academic achievement – so important. More info
- iDtech | Raise your hand if your kid has developed an attachment to Roblox or Minecraft during quarantine? For so many kids, it has become a virtual playdate forum, since they can all join in a play together online. With virtual class offerings for ages 7-19 and a maximum of five students per instructor, iDtech camp will help them take their coding skills to the next level and can even teach them to monetize their accounts. In addition to the popular gaming platforms, classes are also available for Python, Java, Unity, Adobe and 3D modeling. More info
- Arizona Science Center | The Arizona Science Center has taken its popular Camp Innovation online in the form of 90-minute, weeklong Zoom classes. Topics range from Secret Agent Camp to Surviving in Space. If you’re interested, note they are offering a limited number of in-person camps as well. More info
Heard of other exciting virtual camp options?? Please share by commenting below and we’ll consider adding to this list.
Angela’s Lab | A Cause Close to My Heart
Get in My Fall Closet + “Sip, Shop & Style” at Saks Highlights
Mom Muse | Lisa Barbernell-Pliner
Mom Muse | Marie Tillman
Ask Our Style Techs | Have No Fear of Sheer
Lust. Luxe. Less. | Fanciful Fringe Sandals
This Is What’s On Our Mother’s Day List
Fab Finds | The Essential Striped Tee
Uplevel Your Workout with New Gear
These Healthy Nut-Free Snacks Are Kid-Approved
Leave a Reply